THE GROVE, HIGHGATE VILLAGE, N6
The Grove is one of six Restoration houses built in a commanding situation on the western brow of Highgate Hill, one of the highest points in London. Built of traditional brick and timber construction by William Blake, with later additions, circa 1930, by Paget and Seely, it provides generous family accommodation of 6,728 sq.ft. (625 sq.m.) over four floors. The superb interior, which has been sensitively restored and modernised, includes wonderful panelled rooms, a particularly fine staircase and the “Coleridge Room”. All of the principal rear rooms overlook the glorious west facing landscaped garden and command uninterrupted views over Hampstead Heath and beyond.
In December 1823 Dr James Gillman moved into the house with his friend and patient, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, a central figure in the Romantic movement and writer of the “Rime of the Ancient Mariner” and “Kubla Khan”. The poet resided there for 11 years, until his death in 1834. During his stay in the house it became a place of pilgrimage to the eminent literary men of the time including Wordsworth, Lamb, Leigh Hunt, Southey, Hazlitt and Edward Irving. In the 20th Century the house was occupied by the celebrated author, J.B. Priestley, whose best known works are the novel “The Good Companions” and the play “An Inspector Calls”.
- Reception hall
- drawing room
- dining room
- kitchen/breakfast room
- large master suite with large dressing room and bathroom
- 6 further family bedrooms
- 3 family bath/shower rooms
- children's eat-in kitchen. Lower ground staff accommodation comprising: sitting room
- 2 bedrooms
- shower room
- kitchen and breakfast room. Utility room
- wine cellar
- boiler room and further cellar
- storage area
- guest and gardener's wcs. Lovely 125ft west facing garden. Ample off street parking.